Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mommy Untaped

Well, I have been untaped for just over a week now. I met with Dr. P. right after the first of the year. He was very pleased when he pulled the tape from my forehead, so pleased, in fact, he didn't need to see me again. As he was telling me how pleased he was, he was reaching for the tape and a pair of scissors. "Just sit up here on the table, and I will show you how to put this on now."

To refresh your memory, I had been sporting a single piece of tape placed horizontally across my incision. This time he placed one piece vertically on top of the incision and crossed that bit of tape with two more perpendicular pieces. Then he said, "I want you to keep tape on your chin as well." I looked at him and said, "Of course, because, why not?" When I asked how long I would have to wear it, he said, "Not long. Two weeks."


So, although, I could have gotten away without wearing the tape anymore, I wore it, like a good patient. If I took the tape off for a shower, Kate would immediately ask, "Where is your tape, Mommy?" When I ran into one of our pediatricians' nurses (with whom I had discussed the use of paper tape in reducing scarring as she was sporting a piece on a small burn during a recent office visit) in a grocery store last week, she asked about the tape as well. After six weeks, folks had grown accustomed to seeing me bandaged. I must say, though, it looks pretty darn good now and will only get better with time. Thank you Dr. P.! I am also happy to report that the pathology on the moles came back clean.


My doctor is as famous for his bandaging as he is for his higher than average success rate in ridding patients of cancerous moles and keeping infections away. He is P-A-R-T-I-C-U-L-A-R in a good way. A few of my friends and acquaintances (even other physicians) asked about my bandages and tape, and when I responded that I had seen a plastic surgeon, said, "Oh, you saw Dr. P., didn't you?"

Even today, as I am enjoying a few unfettered weeks, I am making arrangements for my plastic surgery appointment next Monday. Alas, it's still not for anything sexy, like new boobs or a tummy tuck, just more moles-- this time on my back.


I will probably be in a body cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment